I believe that the world is changing. I believe that Tim Berners-Lee created something that breaks walls down. The internet has no walls and it is changing everything. Be it Twitter or Wikileaks or iTunes or iPad – all of these things fundamentally are built on the openness of the web – call it the cloud! I am convinced that the cloud will rule the roost and mobile technology will devour every other industry in the world in some way or another. I am building my business as a marketing consultant to focus on the mobile web.
Very very soon you will see the walls continue to come down. (Read Jeff Jarvis) One of the proliferations of that wall is mobile marketing. Here are some interesting stats on mobile marketing:
- Morgan Stanley’s analysts believe that, based on the current rate of change and adoption, the mobile web will be bigger than desktop Internet use by 2015. (Source http://mashable.com/2010/04/13/mobile-web-stats/)
- Twitter usage via mobile browsers was up 347% while Facebook mobile browser usage was up 112% in 2009-2010 (Source: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/3/Facebook_and_Twitter_Access_via_Mobile_Browser_Grows_by_Triple-Digits)
- There are currently about 3.2 billion mobile subscribers in the world, and only 1.4 billion credit cards (Source: http://brandvoice.co.uk/uncategorized/googles-ceo-explains-the-importance-of-mobile/)
- 1/4 Americans use mobile apps (Source: Mashable)
8 million new facebook subscribers per second in 2010 (Source: Techcrunch)
- 30% of smart phone users said that mobile is the “most important medium” to access breaking news (Source: http://mashable.com/2010/12/07/smartphones-breaking-news-study/)